X-Force Entertainment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)

Go down 
+2
*'Mr. Wednesday Night'*
JPower
6 posters

Who does this guy think he is?
A born leader
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap0%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
A drill instructor
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap5%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
The second coming (or is it third? I lost count)
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap16%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 3 ]
An imaginary character in a fake wrestling game
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap32%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
Brian Pillman
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap11%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
A song from the '60's
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap5%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Over the top (With Sylvester Stallone!)
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap16%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 3 ]
Completely 100% nuts!
How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_lcap15%How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
JPower

JPower

Male
Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2008-06-27

How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty
PostSubject: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/2/2008, 7:57 pm

Hey, all.

After reading Malkyto's post in the 10/01 show thread, it came to mind that there haven't been a lot of long-term rivalries/feuds/storylines/etc. in the fed. The ones that I have seen have been great (DTJ & Playboy for one, and in all humility, mine and Jade's this past season), but I think there could be much more done.

Most of the RP's I've seen (and done myself, so I should know) are reactive - that is, the RP goes up once the matches for the card are announced. Now, granted, this doesn't by definition mean they're inferior. On the contrary, most of them are quite good. This post isn't about quality of RP; it's about quantity.

There are so many good RP'ers in this fed and so many potential stories that we could rule! So I took it upon myself to lay down some tips for those of you who either a) don't know how to RP, 2) know how to RP but only take the reactive route, or iii) want to set up a huge storyline but don't know where to start.

Who am I to make such a pretentious offer? I've been a member of two feds (counting this one. As a side note, this one has proven to be quite stable, and almost immune to the out of character soap operas that consumed my last one. You guys rock!) and in both cases I have developed sustained storylines that have been good viewing and fun to do. I know that parleying this bit of self-importance to an instructive role is rather arrogant, but, then, that's in character for me, isn't it? Twisted Evil

Okay, the basics:

1) Come up with an entertaining story. I know this seems obvious, but knowing where you want to go before even committing word one to paper (or screen) is essential. If you just make it up as you go, it seems fake and, at times, forced. Again, speaking from experience.

2) Communicate!! I can't stress this enough! The greatest storyline in the world (even a tribute to the greatest storyline in the world) won't mean a thing if the target of your games vetoes it. Or, worse, if your GM disallows it for one reason or another. Keep in touch with your intended target(s) and especially the GM or VGM involved. Bounce ideas off of them. Let them bounce ideas off of you. More often than not, they will come up with cool things that you would never have thought of. Which brings me to...

3) Don't dominate. Don't think of it as "your" story. Once you do that, when things don't go your way, it's harder to maintain the momentum. At times, let the other party in the story (remember them?) take over with a chapter or two. Or, even better, have a brainstorming session where you all just toss ideas around and see what sticks. In a related tip...

3a) Don't be too rigid. Don't let the story get so tight that certain things MUST happen in THIS way or the whole thing falls apart. Leave room for improvisation

4) Show your work. Before you post the RP to the site, let the other(s) involved read it first. This is related to 3 and 3a, but it also belongs in its own slot because now you're manifesting the story, getting it from idea to text. This is a good opportunity to proofread each other's work in order to avoid typos, spelling or grammar errors, and (most importantly) consistency and continuity errors, which is a fancy way of saying "don't do the impossible" As a(nother) side note, if you don't want the rest of the fed to know what happens next (which is my personal preference if at all possible. Remember, your fed-mates watching the show, too) don't be afraid to send it to the VGM via PM. They want the show to be great, too; probably more than you do.

Well, that's all I can think of. To conclude, you guys (and gals) are a cool bunch, and are very good at what you do. This is in no way intended as a slight on anyone's ability. I like what you do; that's why I want to see more of it.

Thank you for reading,
Back to top Go down
http://jackpowerx.tumblr.com
*'Mr. Wednesday Night'*
XFE Hall of Famer
*'Mr. Wednesday Night'*

Male
Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/2/2008, 11:20 pm

I voted for Brian Pillman. Razz

On a serious note though, this is a great post dude.

As you said, there are a lot of good to excellent RP'ers in this fed, and if we followed the above method then we would have some great rivalries.

One thing I would add to this is for people to post more detail bout their characters. By this I mean tell the rest of the fed how your character is different to the rest. Just putting "I'm a bad ass who never gives up" doesn't really tell us anything other than a lack of imagination. By 'fleshing out' your character with a history and their attitude will attract more people to want to work with you for a feud. There is nothing more interesting than character development. You can add anything extra to the 'Wrestler Info' thread to get people's attention.
Back to top Go down
QuanBeast
XFE Hall of Famer
QuanBeast

Male
Number of posts : 729
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 6:55 am

I voted for drill instructor. But you know, in a good way!!

I should try harder to plan with someone. Will get my act together when I have finished moving continent.
Back to top Go down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling
JPower

JPower

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 8:52 am

Thanks, guys.

Oh, there is one more thing I just remembered:

5) Plan ahead. It's a good idea to have at least a sketch of what you want to do for the next few weeks or longer. I personally like to plan a couple seasons in advance for pending plotlines, with the idea (rememver #3a) that it can be altered at any time.
Back to top Go down
Malkyto
XFE Hall of Famer
Malkyto

Male
Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 10:45 am

Its a 60's song, i swear it!

Its a nice guide, JP. I will take a lot of ideas from here, and I hope a lot of other guys do the same.
Back to top Go down
Plin

Plin

Male
Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 10:46 am

Voted for Over the top (With Sylvester Stallone!)

It's quite good, the system of posting react, after the Preview Show of The Sentinel/Dante is good for non-really-active RolePlayers. The really Active-Roleplayers, don't have to wait till the Previews, and can plan a better RP, making it easy for the GMs.
Back to top Go down
JPower

JPower

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 11:05 am

That's the idea, Plin.

I'm hoping to turn the not-really-active RPers into more active RPers. We as a fed can only benefit from it.
Back to top Go down
Jade
XFE Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 3:00 pm

I voted that your nuts!! But then again, how can we have our banter if you weren't slightly away from reality in some way? Wink
Back to top Go down
JPower

JPower

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 3:28 pm

"Your 'reality', [Jade], is lies and balderdash, and I am pleased to say I have no concept of it whatsoever!" - Baron Munchausen
Back to top Go down
*'Mr. Wednesday Night'*
XFE Hall of Famer
*'Mr. Wednesday Night'*

Male
Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/3/2008, 10:39 pm

JPower wrote:
"Your 'reality', [Jade], is lies and balderdash, and I am pleased to say I have no concept of it whatsoever!" - Baron Munchausen

Ahh, quoting one of the true cinema classics. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty10/27/2008, 4:18 pm

can i vote for "Very interesting... get a life freak!!!"

nah... just kidding its very illuminating Jpower nice work bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)   How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one) Empty

Back to top Go down

How to make feuds and annihilate people (Part 1 of... maybe just one)
Page 1 of 1